To assist the pro bono law community working for access to justice even through the challenging conditions of our global pandemic, PBI has created a COVID-19 Pro Bono Resource Center. This resource brings together new COVID-19 content from the Pro Bono Institute, as well as curated content we know will be helpful to our community.
STATEMENT FROM THE PBI PRESIDENT. Dig in. It’s Doable Remotely. The Underserved Need You Now More than Ever. READ MORE
PBI SPECIAL PODCAST SERIES. The Challenge of COVID-19: Legal Community in Action.
EPISODE #1: Ron Flagg, President of the Legal Services Corporation, Jackie Haberfeld, Pro Bono Counsel for Kirkland & Ellis LLP*†, and Jim Sandman, Chair of the American Bar Association COVID-19 Task Force, discuss the depth and breadth of the legal challenges, how the ABA and LSC are organizing and supporting the legal community’s response, and how pro bono volunteers are pitching in.
EPISODE #2:Brad Karp, Chairman of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP*†, and his colleagues Robert Atkins and Michael Gertzman, Co-chairs of Paul Weiss’s Litigation Department describe the firm’s development of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Center website and teaming up with other pro bono partners to meet the tremendous need for pro bono services in the wake of this global pandemic.
EPISODE #3: Michael O’Connor, General Counsel, and Dorothy Varon, Corporate Law Lead Counsel and Pro Bono Committee Founder, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Silvia Argueta, Executive Director, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles and Angela Vigil, Pro Bono Partner & Executive Director of the Pro Bono Practice, Baker McKenzie. In this episode, Mike O’Connor and his colleague Dorothy Varon describe some unique aspects to a large corporation, headquartered in a small legal market, tackling pro bono during the COVID-19 pandemic. They are joined by legal aid and pro bono veterans Silvia Argueta and Angela Vigil in discussing how to successfully reach clients having limited access to technology in the era of closed meeting places and social distancing.
BLOGS TO HELP. PBI’s blog, The PBEye, brings you updates, developments, and thought leadership on the latest in the pro bono legal community. Two blogs we posted recently might help you through our trying times.
COVID-19 Prompts Use of Pro Bono Katrina Rule in NJ READ MORE
The New Not-So-Normal for Pro Bono Legal Services READ MORE
Secondary Trauma Stress: Sustaining Pro Bono Volunteers READ MORE
RESOURCES FROM OUR COLLEAGUES.
- The ABA Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force Web Site is a national source of information about the coronavirus and the delivery of legal services. It includes resources on remote service delivery, court access and rules changes, legal needs, public benefits programs, and pro bono mobilization.
- The ABA Disaster Relief Pro Bono Portal helps you find pro bono opportunities, including those helping victims of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Bloomberg Law is providing free access to comprehensive legal resources relating to COVID-19. The links below include information on judicial operations, state agency announcements and emergency rules, state-by-state unemployment insurance benefits, labor protections, checklists and toolkits, and state legislative activity.
- The Paul | Weiss Coronavirus Resource Center
- The TrustLaw COVID-19 Response is a repository of legal resources produced by law firms and others around the globe to support NGOs and social enterprises in response to the pandemic.